20-Minute Ab Workout


I hit my abs three times a week, after my usual workout. Two out of three, I do a 20-minute ab routine; the remainder, Ab Ripper X from P90X. I also slip in a core session of Pilates on Saturdays. Now, I've heard different things about working abs daily versus alternate days - there are so many contradicting thoughts on the internet. And to be honest, I don't know who's right and who's wrong. At the end of the day, I choose to do what's best for me - including designing my own ab routine.

For a long time, I relied on the ab regime that came with whatever workout program I'm on. But I soon realised that some of them quickly lose their effectiveness (on me). So to have an effective workout, I needed to create my own. And by creating my own, I simply mean sourcing from YouTube - specifically Athlean X.

My 20-minute ab routine consists of ten moves. Eight of which are from Jeff Cavaliere's videos - credit goes to Mr Knight. You'll find them listed below, with a link to the videos at its time stamp. But before I get into it, I must say that this isn't a beginner workout. However, if you're a beginner and would like to give it a try, by all means do so. You can always tweak it to get it done.

MY CURRENT 20-MINUTE AB
- Two Down One Up (15 sets) from Best Home Ab Workout
- 21 Crunch (15 sets) from Best Home Ab Workout
- Alternate Heel Touches (15 sets)
- Sphinx Knee-to-Elbow (10 sets/ 3 sec hold each rep) from Ab Ripper X3; P90X3
- Starfish Crunch (15 sets) from 7 Minute Ab Workout with added weights in each hand
- Cliff-Hanger Walkout Planks (15 reps) from 6 Minute Ab Workout
- Scissor V-Ups (15 reps) from Best Home Ab Workout with added weights
- Hip Touch Planks (15 sets) from Best Home Ab Workout
- V-Ups Russian Twist (15 reps) from Best Home Ab Workout with added weights, and four twists
- Upper Circle Crunches (20 per side) from 7 Minute Ab Workout with added weight behind the head

Do note that this isn't a set regime. From time-to-time, I would remove a few to include newer and harder moves. I would also increase and incorporate weights after a few sessions. By doing so, my body doesn't know what to expect and the variety prevents a plateau. Hence why I throw in the Ab Ripper X midweek too.

(Just in case you're wondering why the Ab Ripper X, not the Ab Ripper X2 or Ab Ripper X3; I find that X1 always leaves me sore the day after. Also, I hate X1. So all the more reason to do it.)

With the internet at your disposal, building your own workout isn't rocket science. You most certainly can do it too! But if you do give this a try, let me know how it goes in the comments below. Also, do you work abs everyday or alternate days? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this ever so debatable topic.

---
If you like what you've read, SUBSCRIBE for more content!

Comments