Jump Rope Training... For Fun!


Back in 2014, I experimented with the skipping rope (as we call it here). I designed my own regime using only the rope, and worked my way to 2000 skips a day. As skipping rope is low impact, it provides a great cardio session without taxing the knees. A skipping rope is also an inexpensive equipment. So, if you're new to exercising and have no idea where to start, I recommend skipping.

HERE'S WHAT I DID:
- 100 side-to-side skips
- 100 front-to-back skips
- 50 single (right) leg skips
- 50 single (left) leg skips
- 100 high-knee skips

I ALSO THREW IN:
- 10 single leg push-ups
- 15 sets of renegade rows (with 3kg dumbbells)
- 10 sets of plank oblique twists

This whole combo counted as one giant set. I started off with three giant sets and increased to five giant sets, for six days a week. Now, you probably have questions. So let me try to guess them:

1. Were there results? Yes, there were. Did I tabulate them? Unfortunately, no. Even if I did, they're probably gone by now.

2. How long did I do this for? A couple of months. Somehow, I found skipping rope fun. The desire to break my own record was a great motivation.

3. Why didn't I keep it up? I went on vacation. When I came back, I decided to try something else. It was fun while it lasted, and it helped improve my stamina and agility.

4. Should you try it? Yes! It's a good start to exercising, as it doesn't require much - except for getting into the rhythm. If you've not skipped rope before, you'll spend the first few days figuring it out - both the pacing, as well as your ideal rope length. But once you know, you're good to go.

5. How long should you do this for? About 2-3 months, progressing in set count. You shouldn't do the same workout over an extended period of time, as your body will plateau. It's always good to switch things up. But if you find yourself enjoying 'jump roping' way too much, you can always tweak the set by adding variety - which you can find on YouTube - and increasing the intensity. You can even use a weighted rope or wear weighted wrist/ankle bands.

6. What kind of jump rope should you use? It depends on your budget. Frankly, any rope will do - even your DIY rubber band rope. Do note that plastic ropes tend to chafe on the handles and will break over time - I cycled through two ropes during my stint.

7. Did I jump rope with shoes? No. As I workout at home, I don't wear shoes. For those wondering, it's a cultural 'thing' to not wear shoes at home. Hence, I've always exercised without them. If you're exercising outside, or if you wear shoes in your house, by all means use them. But if you don't, then find a softer surface. If all you have is a hard floor like I do, take it slow. Your feet will hurt at first. As your soles rub against the floor, they might even develop blisters. But, your feet will adapt. I've exercised without shoes for years and my feet, ankles, and shins are fine. Just be aware of your own body - not everyone is the same, after all.
 
I hope I've answered some of your mental questions. If you have more, feel free to leave a comment below. I'm definitely an advocate of jump rope training. It's something both beginners and professionals do. So give it a shot! You might enjoy it.

---
If you like what you've read, SUBSCRIBE for more content!

Comments